[VHFcontesting] Fall Sprints Start Mon. Sept 20th -- 2 Meter Band

Todd Sprinkmann sprinkies at excel.net
Fri Sep 17 10:07:07 PDT 2010

    Sort of mystified I haven't seen anything about the Fall Sprints.
Sprints are a lot of fun, so it's time to promote them.

    Please talk up the sprints in your area.   I've been doing this
around WI and N ILL and it works.

    Feel free to use any of the info below to increase activity.

   **2 METER FALL SPRINT is MONDAY, SEPT. 20th.**
   The sprints are single-band events on mostly weeknights.   The
time commitment is modest.
   2m is on Monday, Sept. 20th. -- 7-11pm  (your local time)
   222 is on Tuesday, Sept. 28th -- 7-11pm
   432 is on Wed. evening, Oct 6th -- 7-11pm.
   Microwave sprint is Sat. morning, Oct. 16th 6am-noon
   6m  is 4 hours Sat. evening, Oct 30th -- 2300UTC-0300UTC

    6-digit grid squares should be used on 432 and the microwaves.
See rules for details.  http://www.svhfs.org/2010fallsprintrules.pdf

    Here are 5 reasons why the Sprints are enjoyable.  This info
is useful for attracting newcomers and casual operators.

   1)  They're only 4 hours, and mostly on weeknights.  Don't
interfere with your weekend.
   2)  They're only 1 band at a time, so there's no losing guys
like what happens when we "run the bands" in ARRL contests.
   3)  It's a great time to have a ham buddy over and actually
show him/her what is possible on the SSB side of VHF.   Might
just get someone to think beyond the repeater.
      The more Joe Q. Hams who learn about the DX potential
on weak-signal V/UHF, the more new ops we'll attract.
   4) You can rove in the sprints, or operate /P from a high spot.
   5) You can operate as little or as much as you like.   You
don't have to operate in more than one sprint.  They're all
independent deals - no commitment.

    Pass this info around this weekend and commit to getting
on 2m this Monday night.

    Tnx, 73,
    Todd   KC9BQA   EN63ao   40 N of Milwaukee
    www.kc9bqa.com   For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates
    www.wivuch.com   WI VHF/UHF County Hunters Award