[VHFcontesting] Rover radio ideas?

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Mon Sep 20 19:51:10 PDT 2010

I keep thinking about getting into VHF/UHF contesting as a Rover. Dan
Evans K9ZF exposed me to rovering 10 years ago when I found some
operating locations for him in Eastern Kentucky and shot some photos
for an article he got published in CQ VHF. Rovering looked like fun,
but I never really pursued it.

Well, a recent positive experience operating a portable station in a
local HF contest has me thinking about rover operation again. The
Limited Rover class appeals to me, so I'm thinking about what it
would take to compete at that level. One of the considerations is, of
course, radios.

The only multi-mode radio I own is an Icom IC-746Pro, so I can
operate 6m and 2m for starters. But, what about the other two bands?
At the risk of starting a war, what do you guys suggest? An Icom
IC-7000 with a transverter for 222? A Yaesu FT-736 with the band
modules I need and bricks to up the power? Or a Yaesu FT-847 plus 222
transverter? I occasionally see Icom IC-x75 series VHF/UHF radios
show up at hamfests and auction sites--are they still viable?

Thanks in advance for your input. Just wait 'till I ask about antennas. <grin>

Bob...