[VHFcontesting] Sept VHF QSO party pictures

Keith A Miller kamiller at maplenet.net
Wed Sep 22 10:12:31 PDT 2010

As many of you know KF9OK and I went to Drummond Island, EN86, for the
contest.  The location that we secured by email and phone calls was
difficult to access and not the best for clear propagation to say the
least.  When setting up the 6 meter H Double-bay array with reflector we
bent the push up mast and had to go buy a hacksaw and some makeshift
parts to cut it off and get the antenna set up.   That put the antenna
about 10 ft lower than we originally planned.  When we first planned the
trip we thought we would have 4 operators,  but 2 backed out and we
couldn't find replacements.   Being short handed we didn't set up the
amps for 2 and 432 so we were running at 50 watts on those bands.
As everyone knows propagation wasn't great for the contest.    From
Drummond we didn't notice any tropo and only a little meteor scatter on
6 meters.

We were using the Icom-7000 on 6 meters and the Yaesu FT-847 on 2 and
432 on saturday.
Sunday we changed and used the FT-847 on 6 and 432 and the IC-7000 on 2
meters

We did manage to work 2 stations on all 3 bands.  I was happy that we
could work 230 miles on 432 MHz.

One very frustrating time was when we heard 2 stations talking about  us
and the one was asking if we ever got to Drummond.  The other station
replied that he did know that we were there but we had weak signals and
would be hard to work.   We could hear both of them and tried to break
into their conversation but no luck.  I know if either of you are
reading this that now you feel real bad.

here are links to our pictures from the trip.
KF9OK's pictures <http://muzepix.com/places/drummond/>
My pictures <http://keithmillerphotography.com/drummond/>

We had a good time and are already working on plans for our next trip.
If we go back to EN86 we have scouted some better locations and are
working on some changes to the equipment for anywhere we go.  On monday
of this week I picked up a 40 foot Rohn 25 tower with tilt over base
that can go under the trailer or truck wheel so one of the flimsy masts
will be eliminated.
If you are one of the few who made a contact with us and want our
Drummond Island card, QSL direct to KA9RSL.

Keith,  KA9RSL