[VHFcontesting] Contesting on 222 FM

Bill Burgess ve3cru at rac.ca
Fri Sep 24 14:15:29 PDT 2010

Many have posted that they only have FM on 222, and dismiss their ability to use it in contesting as not viable.   Let me assure you that it is indeed viable and worthwhile. Look at a few results from the last ARRL VHF contest as done by me.

222    FM    1945z    VE3CRU/R    EN93wv    K1TEO    FN31jh    distance 394 miles or 638 km
222    FM    0000z    VE3CRU/R    EN94wf    K1TEO    FN31jh     distance 405 miles or 656 km

Setup:

Icom IC-3 HT 1.5W to Mirage C22A minibrick 20W to 16 elmt K1FO at 9 to 10 feet AGL

it was not the power, nor the antenna height that makes this possible, but rather the antenna gain and the fact I can in 30 seconds flip it from vertical to horizontal.   In truth, the antenna was 30 degrees off horizontal as the 432 K1FO was too close and would mesh if both fully horizontal.  The IC-3 for those not familiar is one of Icom's older low power HT's that used thumbwheels on the top to set the frequency and will go to the bottom of the 222 band if desired.   Due to swr concerns of high power stations, I will dial down to 222.200 to run FM to stay within the range of most beams.   Of course my FO performs best there too.

As a Rover, it is wiser to cover the distance with rf gain than with rubber on the road.  The K1FO if full length breaks down to 6 foot lengths if you cannot travel with it up.   Also, you can obtain 8 foot K1FO rover beams which will break down to a shorter length I believe if not left up.   The 8 footers can run down the road at 90 degrees to the vehicle and be legal.

Remember that the WA5VJB cheap yagis also work well and cost very little to build.

For the Sprints, make it known to others you will be there and skeds may be necessary to work ssb stations willing to go to FM, otherwise you will not understand them.   Set to 222.100 I did hear strong ssb stations but could not understand for a qso.

Good luck and have fun !!!

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R