[VHFcontesting] mmm .. rover power

Greg Zenger [N2GZ] n2gz at gregzenger.com
Tue Apr 19 19:51:14 PDT 2011

That's a very reasonable price considering the energy density and cycle
life. The Rapid Charge time is also fantastic.

However, for us ham operators who don't cycle our batteries but a few times
a year (During Contests and power outages) $8K would be hard to justify.

I am using LifeLine AGM Deep Cycle batteries
[http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/] in my 48V banks (most of my gear is
setup for 48V input using Vicor DC-DC converters to regulate voltage)  They
are by no means the least expensive battery, but their cycle life is
fantastic, and construction quality is very good (Thick Lead plates,  Copper
threaded terminals and copper hardware included).  I keep them connected to
PRO Charging Systems [http://www.dualpro.com/] chargers when not in use. I
expect the batteries to last 10-15 years.

4 Lifeline group 30H batteries would cost <$2k, and provide 150Ah @48Vnom.
Weight and size go up compared to the Lithium NMC technology.
4 group U1 batteries costs $450 providing 33Ah and weigh less than 100Lbs.
Add a 48V charging system to your vehicle to top them off between hilltops
and you are good to go.

I am sure there are cheaper options, but I prefer to pay a bit more for a
quality product that should last. The "Made in USA" sticker also makes the
deal sweeter.

-Greg N2GZ/1