[VHFcontesting] AM-6155 PS Question

Michael Sapp wa3tts at verizon.net
Sun Dec 11 17:47:52 PST 2011

Hi Kent (& All):

Thanks for the thought on paralleling the screen resistors. The one AM-6155
unit here was using only one of the 100K-ohm resistors on the left side of
the PS module (the other
100K resistor bypassed per AM-6155 mod info). The "working" 100K-ohm
resistor opened up, so I moved the bypass jumper to use the other screen
resistor.  I had to pull the PS module to do that. Fortunately, there is an
access hole in the side of the PS module to do that, so it was an easy fix.

The second AM-6155 PS module had the center one of the  three 130V/10W Zener
diodes fail to short condition, which took only a few minutes to figure out.
I have another parts unit here so I will
likely scavenge a zener from it this evening to get it going.

Neb Surplus Sales has those cavity anode HV feedthrough caps with the
correct 3/8 thread. I picked up two of them last week to replace
broken/failed ones in my other cavity amps that got scavanged in prior years
to keep the 432 Mhz unit running years back....

After running the tube filament for an hour or so I started out with 1W or
drive and peaked input and output power controls on 222MHz. Then went to 4W
of drive from a handheld FM rig and had 125W or so showing from the Bird
meter, which is about 177 "ham" (peak) watts with 150ma plate current, so it
looks like it will make rated power with 8~10W of drive...

One more cavity amp to clean and then replace the HV cap and unit number two
will be ready to go.  It's good to see these old friends come back to life
an make good RF power.....

73  Mike wa3tts