[VHFcontesting] Amp for 222?

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sun Jan 30 13:28:43 PST 2011

My 3 year old Mirage C2512G amplifier has bit the dust. 20 watts of drive is producing no power output at all. In addition, there is no detectable difference in noise levels when the pre-amp is switched to the on position.

I’ve already sent a contact e-mail to Mirage requesting an RMA number, and plan to ship it back to them for repairs later this week. I wonder if I could ask a few questions of the group to guide me in my next step:

1.) Any idea how long repair service from Mirage/MFJ might take? Should I plan on having this back in time for the Spring Sprints?

2.) Has anyone purchased a new 222 amp from TE Systems recently? Cost? How long did it take to receive the amp after purchase?

3.) I’d like to upgrade to more power on this band, but it doesn’t look like I have many options available at a reasonable price. Mirage wants nearly $800 for 220 watts, and my guess is that TE Systems will be in the same range.

Are there any other options out there? Anyone have a used 220 amp that they’re looking to part with?

All help gratefully appreciated.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf