[VHFcontesting] It's the Hap-Happiest Time Of The Year

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sun Jul 17 15:02:37 PDT 2011

I know Christmas comes in December, but for VHF Men this is the Happiest
Time of the Year. I always look forward to the CQ WW VHF Contest. Even
though the past two years have been marred by sub-par propagation; this
simple, uncomplicated contest never fails to deliver on the fun factor.

This year's event was no exception. Limited time to operate due to family
commitments and indoor antennas did nothing to dampen my spirits. After
mostly quiet bands on Saturday (with the exception of an opening to Mexico),
we enjoyed brief, intense openings on Sunday to the Bahamas, South Florida,
Texas, the Mid-West, and even a couple of NE stations. Two Meter conditions
were horrible, but we that just gave us time to catch up with old friends
and semi-locals.

The addition of Internet assistance made it easier to judge where the e-skip
clouds were heading, and hopefully put a few contacts in the log for
everyone. More contacts=more fun, no doubt.

Looking forward to the ARRL August UHF event, but my daughter is graduating
from the University of Alabama that day (Roll Tide!) and my operating time
will be limited until evening. But look for a full effort from N1LF on 222,
432, 902, and 1296. Improved antennas and more power, so hoping for a good
showing.

Great to catch up with some old friends on the band, and just wanted to tell
everyone how much fun this event was. The World Above 50 MHz really is the
most fun you can have with your clothes on.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park