[VHFcontesting] Solar Flare June 7, possible magnetic storm June 9

Eric Smith kb7dqh at donobi.net
Wed Jun 8 20:03:42 PDT 2011

If we get "radio aurora" then SSB will "sound funny" on 6 meters, and become completely unintelligible on 2 meters.  Similarly, CW signals will sound noticeably "wobbly" and "rough" and as the ionization gets stronger and things get going on 222 and above, as has happened before in a June contest... then CW on those bands takes the form of wideband noise.  Should be really easy to break the North American DX record for Au on 903, as it is less than a hundred miles:) Hopefully everyone with 903 gear and big QRO will be QRV
so we can set the bar there a bit higher:)  Bear in mind the refraction occurs where the solar wind is being sucked into the magnetic North pole, so one needs to aim directive arrays "where you hear the signals the loudest" as opposed to anything resembling a "great circle" path!

Fingers crossed for negative Bz!
Eric
KB7DQH