[VHFcontesting] ARRL June VHF results

Ron Klimas WZ1V wz1v at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 13 09:13:13 PDT 2011

To: 3830 at contesting.com
cc: wz1v at arrl.net
From: wz1v at arrl.net
Subject: ARRL June VHF WZ1V Single Op HP

   3.4:
   5.7:
   10G:
   24G:
-------------------
Total:  368   114  Total Score = 41,952

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

This was mainly an exercise to test my new QTH on VHF.
I knew I wasn't going to set the world on fire with only 2 bands
using small antennas down low: a PAR 6M Stressed Moxon and a
Directive Systems 2M 6 element "rover" yagi on a 35 foot pole.
But the results were beyond expectations, especially on 6.
Operated 17 hours, worked 91 grids on 6M, including many DM and CN
grids, as well as DX grids FL06, FL15, EK99 and EK71.
And the Es wasn't even optimum here in southern Connecticut.
It helped having 350W of power on both bands, but it wasn't quite enough
to break many of the pileups. Small antennas hear well, but the
main obstacle is not having enough ERP to be heard. On the plus side,
I received no RFI or TVI complaints. This was a very enjoyable event for me.
Thanks to all who got on the air, especially you Rovers and portable ops!
-73, Ron WZ1V, FN31rh, 130 ft ASL.