[VHFcontesting] [VHF] N4JQQ June Claimed Score

Lew Sayre w7ew at arrl.net
Sat Jun 18 23:56:41 PDT 2011

HI Folks,
    A Single-Op station using 2 ears is not the same as a Single-Op station
using hundreds of ears.
Neither Single-Op station is better than the other. You use whichever system
that makes the radio
operating more fun for you.
     When you advocate for allowing "Passive Assistance" for all classes you
effectively are telling the
Single-Op (2 Ears) guy that his way of operating is the same as Single-Op
(hundreds of ears).
     CQ magazine for years has accurately defined Single-Op (2 ears) and
Single-Op Assisted (hundreds of ears)
for both HF and VHF. New this year for the VHF contest CQ has combined these
two groups. Nothing has changed for HF as far as I can learn.
What I'm told by the non-vocal Single-Op (2 ears) Ops is that they will show
their disagreement with this change  by
simply not re-subscribing to CQ magazine. The change will take a few years
to be noticed but it will be real.
     Single-Op (2 ears) should compete against Single-Op (2 ears)
     Single-Op Assisted (hundreds of ears) should compete against Single-Op
Assisted (hundreds of ears)
     Multi-Ops should compete against Multi-Ops
     Good contests define well what category you think will be the best for
your operating habits. Pick one category, operate, send in the log
and have fun.
     73 and I remain,
    Lew    W7EW