[VHFcontesting] 50 MHz Spring Sprint Recap

Jim Hunt (K9GTJ) K9GTJ at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 15 05:21:59 PDT 2011

Terrible band conditions made for a long contest.  We have strong
storms, torrential rain, and even some cold air funnel clouds a few
counties away.  I made three phone contacts from my home QTH of EN60vl
and heard three more.

N8XA was portable from EM89 and I talked with him a bit later after our
first QSO and he heard some passerby say there was a tornado warning out
for his area.  I looked online and sure enough, there was.  He said he
was a half mile from his car.

W9GT and K9XD were the other two I logged.  I think all three were brute
force contacts with zero help from propagation.

I did hear K8TQK, K9PW, and K9UHF.  Never could get a contact with these
three.

Hopefully there will be some band openings with the next VHF contests.

73's
de K9GTJ