[VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF UHF Advisory Committee (VUAC) looking for public input

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Tue May 31 15:37:29 PDT 2011

Hello Jim....I was one of those who proposed the Limited Rover
Class(there were others) several years ago.  I originally suggested that
the Limited Class be 6M, 2M, and 432.  For some reason, this neat scheme
got screwed up with the addition of another band(which is now 222).

The new hams will go out and try VHF contesting IF they perceive that
things are FAIR.  They know that if someone else has a 4th band that
they have no chance.  If everyone is 6M, 2M, and 432 they will see that
everyone has the same chance.  This point should be emphasized in the
rules.  Beginners, most especially, will not go out for 2 days, bust
their humps, spend a lot of money on gas, food, and motels unless they
think that they have the same chance as anyone else.

The power levels should be 6M=100W, 2M=50W, and 432=35W.  This covers
all the "standard" IC706 type radios.  It includes everyone and excludes
no one.  It is absolutely fair to all entrants.  There should be NO
amps, NO transverters, NO funny business.  That was my suggestion then
and it is my suggestion now.  Just simple and straightforward.

If a Limited Single-Op Class is created, it should be exactly as above.
The Limited Rover Class should drop the 4th band and then the two
classes would be identical....except that one moves and one does not.
If you start allowing amps and a bunch of other stuff, you will just
complicate things AND the beginners will not participate.  KISS!!!

I will mention this to my VUAC rep.  Everyone who believes this is a
simple and fair method should do the same.

73 Marshall K5QE