[VHFcontesting] APRS rover?

Bryan Leenheer bryan.leenheer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:43:58 PDT 2011

Hi Group,

I'm just getting started in the Ham Radio fun, and I only have a VHF HT
(TH-D72) and an ancient Icom IC-290 available to play with.  I just built a
"cheap yagi" 6 element beam for 2 meters which I'll be playing with on the
Icom from home, but I'll be on the road for most of the day Sunday with the
HT.

Of course, the HT only does FM (and NFM, but that's a different story) but
it does do APRS quite nicely.

My question is, the rules state that Rovers can use APRS, transmitting call
sign (mine will be listed as KD8LDX-7) and position.  Is it customary to use
the rover icon /p?  Can I list any other rovers I hear as contacts, whether
directly or via digipeter or at all?  I'm planning on having the A side VFO
scanning the customary FM simplex frequencies on 2 meters and 70cm, so if
you're in Michigan and within the 20 miles or so my HT can reach, feel free
to give me a shout.  I'll be attempting to respond to any CQ Contests I hear
as well.  My trip will take me through EN62, EN63, EN73, and EN72, returning
to EN62 in the evening Sunday.

I know I'll be driving a somewhat pathetic Rover operation, but I've got to
start somewhere...

73!

Bryan KD8LDX