[VHFcontesting] Recent VHF - UHF Activity Comments

Lloyd Berg N9LB lloydberg at charter.net
Thu Sep 15 08:38:29 PDT 2011

I've been reading the comments about VHF/UHF activity in the last few
days.  A lot of you sound kind of down about things.  Don't give up!

I'm a newcomer, only been on for about 2 years.

Having been on the rat race on HF for some time, and I've found that the
gang on VHF/UHF are by far the best operators and want to continue with
"weak signal" VHF/UHF activities forever.

I started with 6, 2, and 432 in 2009.
Then added 222, 902 and 1296 in 2010
Now I'm just finishing up adding 2304 MHz.

I don't have VUCC on any band yet, but I hope to achieve VUCC on all
bands over the next many years.

I'm also collecting parts for some amplifiers so I can get out better -
especially when the bands are flat.  I can year much more than I can
work.

I also hope to attend most regional VHF/UHF gatherings
I'll return to the BC meeting/lunch at Waukesha in January
Plan to attend Aurora in 2012 and beyond
Plan to attend Central States VHF Conference in 2012 and beyond

For those of you who have already "done it all" - that's interesting,
have an open house and show and tell us how you did it.  I really enjoy
visiting other stations!  I always learn something new and come back
with lots of ideas.

For those of you who are still working towards various achievements - I
look forward to working with you on those.

For those of you with antennas that are not working, if you can't climb
towers any more, ask for help restoring systems.  Hopefully there is
someone near by that can replace a jumper or replace an antenna feed
point and get you back on the air.

And yes, we need to advertise VHF/UHF to new potential operators.  I've
seen plenty of newcomers get a license, buy a handi-talkie, hang out on
the local repeater and get board with ham radio in a short period of
time.

I've also seen HF guys become inactive while they wait for "a new one" (
DX country ) to come on the air. They are missing the better half of
amateur radio operating!

I recommend that you do a program about VHF/UHF long distance operating
for your local club.  Set up a booth at your local Hamfest / Swapmeet,
get the word out that there is more to VHF/UHF than repeaters.

73

Lloyd - N9LB