[VHFcontesting] microwave rookies

Frank Jankovich fjankovich at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 06:21:09 PDT 2011

Just wanted to add some comments to what Lloyd Berg N9LB has said.
I have been on the microwave bands for 5months 1.2 GHz, 2.3 GHz and 10GHZ.  I got the incentive to try something new for the same reasons.  Unfortunately this equipment is scarce and expensive.  Also very few people are skilled to repair or provide mentorship in the operation of this equipment.  Often I may have questions or need assistance to test equipment and many have assisted, Thanks.  However, some of the Guru's in the microwave field get caught up in the contests and their schedules tend to forget the rookies.  I almost packed it in Saturday, when a Guru cautioned me not to "dawdle or experiment" a couple of times because of tight contest schedules.  My advice to the more experienced is, if you frustrate the rookies, you will soon find no one responding to your calls on the microwave bands and you will be talking to yourself.