[VHFcontesting] [VHF] RE: ARRL creates "shack-on-ur-belt" contesting

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Thu Apr 26 09:29:26 PDT 2012

James makes some great point. Club presentations about the new FM
category will be needed to get the
word out. One concept that will be vital to teach is the notion of
"moving" a contact from 2 Meters (were
most will originate) to the other bands.

It will be interesting to see how the ARRL implements this category. One
strong recommendation that I would
make would be to ALLOW the use of national simplex calling frequencies,
including 146.520. There is virtually
no simplex activity here, and I suspect it's that way nationwide. If
anything, the contest might spur some activity
on that front.

Failing that, I think the league needs to publish a recommended calling
frequency or frequencies that participants
should look for each other during the contest. This is especially
important on 2 Meters.

An opening on 6 Meters with more FM activity would be chaotic. So it
might be best to recommend at least
three "channels" for 6 Meter activity.

I'd also love to see CQ Magazine add an FM category to their VHF
Contest, which would make my favorite
contest even better.

73.

Les Rayburn, N1LF