[VHFcontesting] The CQ WW VHF contest....

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Thu Jul 19 20:32:56 PDT 2012

Hello everyone....the CQ WW VHF contest is this weekend from 1800Z = 1PM
CDST on Sat until 2100Z= 4PM CDST on Sunday afternoon.  This is a 6M and
2M contest only, so you don't have to worry about all the higher bands.
The K5QE contest station will be on the air and looking for that long
distance QSO especially on 6M.  Hopefully, we will get some decent Es
for this contest.

During the evening hours when there is no Es, we will operate digital MS
on 50.265MHz FSK441.  This contest allows us to post Call, Frequency,
and Sequence ONLY to PingJockey whenever we are calling CQ on digital
meteor scatter, so there is no need to sit on the calling frequency and
call CQ K5QE 265.  We may do some of that for those that are not aware
of the new rules.  By MS convention, when we are pointing our antennas
N, NE, or E, we will call on First Sequence.  When we are calling NW or
W, we will be on second sequence.  Since we CAN post our sequence, this
gives you a hint as to where we are looking.  Even so, I often worked
people to the NW and W when I was originally calling NE.  I just turned
the antenna towards the caller but did NOT change the sequence.

On 2M, we will operate as much EME as we can, but when the moon is not
favorable, we will be looking for 2M MS contacts on 144.142MHz and we
will post that on PingJockey.  This will help everyone know what we are
doing.

Remember, EVERYONE can look at the Internet reflectors and spotting
sites.  You can only post there if you are calling CQ on digital MS or
digital EME....and then you can only post your Call, Frequency, and
Sequence--NOTHING ELSE.

We are short some operators this year, so we probably will not run
throughout the night.  Most probably we will shut down around Midnight
and resume about 6AM local time.

IF you are in range, please look for us on 50.265MHz and 144.142MHz for
MS and on 50.133MHz for Es.  Whenever the moon is favorable for us, we
will be on 144.142MHz JT65b taking Second Sequence.

We would love to get you into the logs, so give us a try....

GL to everyone in the contest....

73 Marshall K5QE