[VHFcontesting] Need help with Cushcraft A50-3S - high SWR

Eric Watkins shelshok at comcast.net
Tue Mar 6 17:39:08 PST 2012

Some years ago, I too bought a Cushcraft 6mtr beam. I've since fixed
that by buying just about anything else. Their stuff might have been
good back in the day, but it seems to have taken a nose dive as far
as quality goes, as you said, they are now owned by MFJ so go figure.
I've since moved to an Arrow Antenna 3el beam that is far easier to
put together, easier to troubleshoot and comes matched out of the
box. Cushcraft SWR problems solved. If I was going to buy a 5 el beam
I'd consider an M2 unit since Arrow doesn't sell a longer 6m beam.
Cut your time losses and buy an antenna that isn't made of 300+
parts. All those little nuts, bolts and washers are a nightmare to
keep on the beam, long term. Do not want to insult you, but take a
look at returning it and buying something with fewer parts and a
better service record.

73s kr0ver