[VHFcontesting] Need Input

Roger Thawley Roger at G0BSU.net
Wed Jan 2 06:24:49 EST 2013

Jim,
I operate an IC575H for portable contest work, here in the UK, where we have
a regular series of two and a half hour VHF contests on Tuesday evenings,
covering 6M, 4M, 2M, 70cms and 23cms, one band per week - 4M only occurs on
the fifth Tuesday of the month, where there is a fifth Tuesday.
I started by buying an IC275H for 2M operation, because it has a fairly
decent front end and the IC7000 I used to used got swamped by the large
number of local stations on that band. An IC475H followed fairly quickly,
for the same reason and because its higher power output on 70cms. By chance
I stumbled across an IC575H, offered on eBay, and decided that this would
make a good addition for 6M. I've been entirely happy with all of these
radios, though the 475 needed a little fiddling with to resolve a VFO
encoder alignment issue.

Steve mentions back light bulbs for these radios. One way to deal with this
issue is to replace the bulbs with LEDs, see an article where this is
discussed here -
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?238956-IC-738-LED-wheat-lamp-type

A Yahoo group exists for the ICx75 series radios here -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IC-275/?yguid=39382180
The group is nominally for the '275, however, other models in the series are
also discussed.

The '575 is a much higher performance radio than the 690.

Roger, G0BSU.