[VHFcontesting] Internet Assistance

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Tue Jan 22 18:11:16 EST 2013

I understand those who don't favor Internet assistance, but find that
the attitudes are often shaped by
inexperience or misinformation.

For instance,there is no "robo-mode" that allows someone to complete
digital contacts without operator involvement. There's also a fair
measure of operating skill involved in FSK441, or the JT modes used for
tropo and EME contacts. An experienced operator can recover data that a
less skillful one will miss. Period. No different than CW or SSB.

Second, contacts on VHF/UHF are often prearranged or done by schedule.
Most of the truly historic achievements in our history were done after a
series of failed skeds that finally resulted in a breakthrough contact.
Only if the operators are dishonest does knowing the time, frequency,
and call sign of the other station provide an advantage. And that's been
possible for years.

I enticed a lot of local operators to get on 222 at 3PM in the afternoon
on Saturday to gain some points. I knew who would likely be there, their
call signs, and which direction to point the beam. But I still had to
work them. Under the rules, those contacts are valid because I arranged
them before the contest period started. I still used e-mail to line them
up---so I think the rule is silly and meaningless.

"Captive rovers" is another technique that's been used for years in
contest. Legal within the rules, but if I use "Ping Jockey" to make a
sked on the fly, somehow I'm cheating? Give me a break. Live in the real
world with the rest of us.

Lastly, outside of the NE and other metro areas, most of us are all for
anything that generates more contacts and less dead air. Allowing the
use of Internet assistance would do that. The CQ VHF Contest last year
proved that to my satisfaction.

At the end of the day, we're all on the honor system. You either worked
them or you didn't. I attempted and failed at several contacts during
the contest. In most cases, I recognized the operator and their call
sign. Many of them won't be turning it a log--so I could easily "add"
them to mine. But what would be the point? Who would I be
cheating--myself most likely.

Each contest I compete only against myself--trying to best my previous
high score. This is how I measure progress, and for many who operate in
rural locations, or live under deed restrictions, that's the best we can
hope for. Not to win, but only to improve. Each time I break one of my
own high scores, it's a victory.

The FM Only category encouraged more hams to try VHF/UHF contesting, at
least here in Alabama. I worked at least seven stations that had never
been in a contest before. One of my contacts, a ham of over 20 years
told me that I was his first ever 440 MHz contact! I'd call that a success!

Opinions vary, but I challenge anyone who holds those views strongly to
operate a January contest in Alabama---and you might change your mind.
The biggest challenge is sometimes fighting off boredom!

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID