[VHFcontesting] FM Contesting-Going Further

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Tue Jan 22 20:48:15 EST 2013

Some encouraging news and discussion here regarding the new "FM Only"
Category. Also very interested in the "Three-Band" Category which also
looks like a winner.

Going the next step, I've seen several good ideas here:

1.) Adding similar categories to the Spring and Fall Sprints. (Club
sponsors, are you listening?)
2.) Creating state-wide contests, perhaps "nestled" inside larger ARRL
events that awarded certificates by Zip Code. (Great idea, giving a lot
more opportunity for small stations to be competitive)
3.) Perhaps adding an "FM Only Rover" and/or "Three Band Rover" category
to encourage more rover activity.

I'll be looking forward to the results from this event eagerly. I even
questioned what category I should enter in myself, perhaps FM or three
band only---leaving my SSB/CW contacts to be counted only as a check log.

For a station operating with indoor antennas, it would be nice to feel
like you were being competitive with someone besides just yourself.

I'm even thinking of trying to add a longer vertical beam to the
shack--currently FM is limited to four elements and 50 watts. Can't wait
to see the logs.

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID