[VHFcontesting] Internet assistance

John D'Ausilio jdausilio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:43:20 EST 2013

Rovers would also benefit from having the ability to self-spot ..

We're already allowed to self-spot via APRS simplex (and I've got most
of the stuff to implement this) but those restrictions really don't
make much sense given the rather sparse nature of the APRS 'network'
and the type of terrain rovers are attracted to and I'm not sure how
useful that's going to turn out.

Rovers have the most fun when we have people to work .. there's
nothing more frustrating than arriving at a grid that's outside the
main NE/SW traffic on the eastern seaboard and being unable to attract
anyone's attention. This problem is compounded when plans change
enroute (not an uncommon occurrence) or you get behind schedule
(almost guaranteed). If I could spot myself on arrival (and departure)
then people don't waste time looking for me and I maximize my
availability to the fixed stations who want to work me.

Honestly I can't see any reason why everyone shouldn't be allowed to
self-spot in VHF and up tests .. we're looking to make weak signal
contacts over hard-to-predict paths with rapidly changing conditions,
why wouldn't we want to do everything we can to maximize the chance of
success?

It seems to me that we're going to get the most back for our buck
(remember, rovers not only have to equip a station but also have gas,
tolls, hotels, etc) *and* exercise our equipment to the limits of it's
capabilities, to everyone's benefit, by allowing internet spotting.

de w1rt/john