[VHFcontesting] Internet assistance

Mike (KA5CVH) Urich mike at ka5cvh.com
Sat Jan 26 11:31:22 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Marshall-K5QE <k5qe at k5qe.com> wrote:

> The greatest
> complaint from the rovers that I hear is that they drive out to some
> horribly remote place, set up, and can't attract anyone's attention.  They
> make a QSO or two(often NONE!!) and then have to move on.

Mike wrote

My son and I tried roving a few times.  We actually had some fun but
with limited funds and equipment the lack of Q's really hurts.

Now I would think in the current world of smart phones and the
internet why can't someone smarter than me write a google map app that
will run on both Android and iPhone's that you can click and it takes
you to your location then you can zoom in and out and see pins where
others may be.

I don't see this being much different than sitting in your station and
going to say the wm7d.net database and putting in a zip code to find
hams in that particular area.  Okay they are not advertising they are
on the air but it is a database to find hams.

--
Mike "Molon Labe" Urich KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

PIO STX-D14 S/E - APIC D1 & D14