[VHFcontesting] The January Contest

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:25:24 EST 2013

As a portable, which has some similarity to a Rover, it has worked out well
for me to wake up on Saturday morning, pack the car with all the equipment
for 9 or 10 bands, drive to my site at 9 am or so, get everything set up by
late morning so I can make sure everything is working, and then start at
contest start. In the winter I don't like to tear down after dark so I
generally will go till maybe 4 pm on Sunday and then tear down. In summer
contests I will often operate till the end of contest, tear down and get
home by 1 am on Monday. I can get away with being low on sleep at work once
in a while. :-)

If the contest started on Friday night I would probably miss all the
contest time till late morning on Saturday.

Participation during particular times has varied widely in this area
(central Illinois) over the years. There are people who get on the air
after dinner on Saturdays and Sundays to work some people. Mornings have
seemed to be busy times, too. There's always a flurry of activity when
contest starts. If there's no six meter opening, the afternoon on Sunday
generally slows down a lot. I've had zero QSO hours on Sunday afternoons.

I would prefer to leave the times as they are.

73, Zack W9SZ