[VHFcontesting] Yagi vs Moxon

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 05:14:25 EDT 2013

The discussion of "Yagi vs Moxon" has been interesting, but has omitted the 2 element yagi.

The 2 element yagi has about the same forward gain as a Moxon at around 6.2 dBi or 4 dBd. The F/B is less than a Moxon, it is forgiving of dimension errors, feeds directly with 50 ohm coax and you can build one easily and cheap.

"No other antenna has a better relation between gain and expense than the 2-Element-Yagi. One element additional to the dipole will give you 4 dB gain. Each additonal element will give more mechanical problems and the increase in gain is only 1-2 dB for the same bandwidth. What says the ARRL Antenna-Book about this antenna?  "The most bang for the buck!" - DK7ZB

The 2 el yagi is a great portable antenna for 6 meters. I keep one in my compact car along with Radio Shack 5 foot masts. I can put it together and up 20 feet in under 10 minutes. Which brings up another point -- a dipole, Moxon, or yagi will work much better up at least one wavelength on a mast than one mounted on a truck bed mobile. A "pop up" 2, 3 or 5 el yagi on a 20 foot + mast will let a fixed rover have a competitive contest signal. K7ULS uses a 6M5X on a mast portable with good results.

 - Jon N0JK