[VHFcontesting] Final Report on the EL84 DXpedition

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 19 13:16:12 EDT 2013

Congrats Mike on your contact with K4N and a well told story ! The Qs you have to work for are the ones you will remember. Your gain antenna likely made the difference.

I had to work the whole weekend K4N was QRV, but on Saturday morning July 13, I saw N0LL and others in my area were logging them. I was able to take a short break and set up on the parking garage roof of the hospital were I work. Put together the 2 el yagi I carry in the car and had it up in a couple of minutes. K4N was there with a solid signal on 50.165 SSB.

Marshall was the op and we exchanged reports.

1401 Qs is a great total and likely a FFMA Grid Expedition record.

 - Jon N0JK

> We logged 1401 QSOs on 6M with only a few dupes.  Actually, I did not log a few contacts because they were duplicates--mostly people just passing us information or something like that.

Mike wrote

We thank you and the team sir.  Friday morning I kept trying and
trying with no answer.  Talked to K5RK who was also trying who finally
caught you mid morning.

I went out and put together an old 3L yagi that was in the garage and
swapped out the Diamond vert with it.  Still no luck.  My wife and I
went out and grabbed supper, came back in and all of a sudden I heard
this faint cq cq k4n ... it took 4 or 5 tries but George came back to
me.   I was soooooo excited ... still am.

Again thank you so much.

--
Mike Urich KA5CVH