[VHFcontesting] ARRL June VHF N8RA Single Op LP

Chet S chetsubaccount at snet.net
Mon Jun 10 20:43:34 EDT 2013

                     ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Operator(s): N8RA
Station: N8RA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN31
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Radios: SO2R

    6:  149    27
    2:   87    24
  222:   18    10
  432:   17     9
-------------------
Total:  271    70       Total Score = 21,420

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

If, as me, you like digging out weak signals in a largely QRM-free
environment, then this June's contest was for you. And, the lack of 6M E's
here in NW Connecticut made it possible to take frequent breaks to get some
other chores done. Only six of the grids on 6M were made via quick E's, and
one was FSK441. Though the E's were lacking, other enhancements to
propagation showed up here and there on 6 and 2M to keep it interesting.

This year I tried more CW and was pleasantly surprised with adding 44 Q's
and 7 grids via this mode on 6 and 2M.

Sunday evening on CW, I was called by a strong station with an MD1 prefix;
England, wow! But I could not get the report to make any sense even after
frequent repeats- it was just coming out in inconsistent gibberish.  Later
it dawned on me that the other station's transmissions were likely chopping
off his first dit due to a timing problem in his T/R switching, so that MD1
prefix was probably WD1, and his grid likely FN20 or something and not the
RNJ0 that I was receiving. Too bad.