[VHFcontesting] The VHF rules....what do we want??

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Mon Jun 17 22:51:28 EDT 2013

Jay-W9RM has posted....

ASSISTANCE: I am a supporter of the CQ WW VHF rules and would like to
see them implemented in all ARRL VHF contests.

LEGISLATIVE:  I am in favor of a ARRL committee (appointed or elected)
dedicated to VHF operations and contests WITH THE POWER to amend and
enforce rules changes independently of the ARRL CAC.

Jay W9RM

I especially like these two posts.  The ASSISTANCE post has been made by
me and others.  It is a sound idea and should be pursued.

The LEGISLATIVE post is also a very good idea.  The VUAC _could_ have
worked, but in practice it did not.  Many of the guys on the VUAC were
not really active VHF operators, never mind active VHF contest
operators.....they did not have any idea of what is really happening in
the VHF world.  Some were there to protect a specific constituency in
the NE.   Some were just there....

To be sure, there were some VUAC members that tried very hard to improve
the VHF+ contesting rules.  However, they were hammered by those that
want no changes.  Pure Protectionism, as Les said.  The VUAC was
subordinate to the PSC(Programs and Services Committee) not to the
CAC(Contest Advisory Committee).  The VUAC could not DO
ANYTHING.....except make recommendations to the PSC.  Sometimes the PSC
just ignored those recommendations. GENIUS!!!  Set up a Committee of
supposedly top VHF ops and then ignore their recommendations.  OF
course, when a really, really BAD recommendation was made, it sailed
right through.

The current VUAC members were appointed, so it would be easy to find
fault with appointments.  However, I believe elections would result in
an even worse committee.  IF we elected our VUAC members, we would
surely get some good ones.....and some hopeless Bubbas from the local FM
club who were more popular than the serious VHF ops in their Division.
I believe that appointment is still the best way, but, we need to try to
get "real" VHFers appointed.

Whatever we do with the VUAC or some successor committee, it MUST NOT
OPERATE IN SECRET as the current committee has.  In the early days, Jim
Aguirre-W7DHC in the Pacific Northwest was pretty open about what was
going on and often asked the opinion of the VHF ops in his area.  I
praised him for that.  Recently, Steve-N2CEI has also been very
forthright about the issues the VUAC was considering and also sought out
the opinions of those in the SE US.

The Directors and Vice-Directors are the key.  That is where we need to
start....after we figure out EXACTLY what we want.

Comments??

73 Marshall K5QE