[VHFcontesting] HF vs VHF Contests was Re: The VHF rules....what do we want??

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 21:19:59 EDT 2013

I also do HF contesting. I've been doing that for 40 years. Lately I've
been part of a multi-op team at K9CT for some of the major HF contests.

On HF, people use dipoles that cover half the world all at once, or beams
that have fairly wide patterns. On VHF and above, the beamwidth
increasingly narrows going up the bands, at least for me because the number
of elements I can fit into a given boom length increases. So there's
another factor there. You have to tune the band but you also have to rotate
your beam and hope the other guy is rotating his, too. My 2m beam probably
has a beamwidth of the main lobe of about 35 degrees. My 1296 looper maybe
15 degrees. My dish maybe 5 degrees on 2304 and a couple degrees on 10 GHz.
Almost all my QSO's on higher VHF/UHF and microwave bands were passed there
from a lower band. I don't do a whole lot of that in HF contests,

73, Zack W9SZ