[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Sprint

Dave Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Oct 3 12:25:19 EDT 2013

Thanks Ron,
    I really debated quitting when I saw my arm starting to expand and
swell, but I figured that wasp stings never really impacted me before, and
that if I had an allergy, the symptoms would be much worse than just some
swelling.  It seems the wasps are especially bad this year. They flock
around the two shacks and dive bomb me if I get near them.
    I really am puzzled by these sprints. I have a pretty good antenna
system and a good rf amplifier to work with, so why do I miss grids like
FN35? I see you and Jeff are comparing how many stations you worked in that
grid, while I heard ZILCH, ZERO, NADA. It was not for lack of trying. I have
a pair of stacked 8 el rear mount yagis that I can rotate from east to north
to west. I usually keep it parked on FN34 which covers all those grids. I
also had the large 4 x 22 el beams up that way as well, periodically. I made
lotsa calls but never heard any of the guys you and Jeff worked.  I had the
four yagi array aimed up northeast as well a few times, but heard nothing. I
am guessing that the percentage of time when stations in FN35 are aimed at
me, and I am aimed at them is quite small or non existent.  If that is the
case, no amount of wasp venom, even up to just before the lethal dosage,
will help my score.
    I have two left over 16 element K1FO yagis that I will install and fix
at FN35. I can wire it into my 222 MHz antenna switch for instant checks.
Right now there is a small vert polarized yagi for FM hooked up, but I think
the two 16 el beams would be better for sprints and general use.

73

Dave K1WHS