[VHFcontesting] Contest Confusion

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 11:06:39 EDT 2013

I was a Single-Op (QRP) Portable once again, as I have done for many years.
I only got to be active for 5 hours on Sunday. Working up the bands to the
microwave bands with a couple fairly local people (~100-150 miles) kept me
busy but I didn't hear a lot of activity around here, either. I heard K2DRH
calling W4ZRZ but I couldn't hear Jimmy when I pointed my beams his way.

QRP Portable has its own set of difficulties. Not only do you have to get
the attention of a big station who is not pointed your way, they sometimes
can't hear you when they ARE pointed at you. Conditions yesterday afternoon
were marginal in central Illinois. I was told there was a decent opening in
the morning but I didn't get everything put together and going till noon.

When I operate Single-Op Portable I don't even take along a computer - too
much battery drain. I log on paper and transfer to the computer when I get
home. I only have a phone with me for emergencies, so I usually leave it
off while I'm operating. The phone service is marginal where I operate
anyway, service is iffy. So none of those things for me, either.

Next weekend in the 10 GHz contest I'll be roving along the Wisconsin side
of Lake Michigan with 10 and 24 GHz. There are areas along the lake where
there is no phone service at all.

73, Zack W9SZ