[VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion

Jack W6NF vhfplus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 20:31:18 EDT 2013

On 9/17/2013 7:00 PM, John Geiger wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: <BEAMAR at aol.com>
>> This is a response to several posts. First off Yagis. There are some
>> newer
>> people that seem to lean towards loops.
>
> Why?  What is the attraction of a loop over a yagi?  Simple common
> sense should tell one that a larger antenna will perform better.
>
>> . On two occasions I tried to give one
>> of these guys a real 6M  antenna. He turned me down, >because he knew
>> his
>> 160M loop was a much better  antenna.
>
> Yeah, we have on of those types here as well.  He instructed me one
> morning at the club breakfast as to how a G5RV will outperform a
> SteppIR yagi.  You just give up with those types.
>
> John AF5CC

The thing I have always been curious about is why folks *don't* stack
four loops on 2-meters to get decent gain *and* an omni pattern. Total
gain will be about 7-7.5dbd and can be nicely fed by a 4-port power
divider. This would, of course, be for fixed operation only because of
the physical size. This would compare with a modest yagi and you don't
have the hassle of constantly rotating the antenna for fear of missing
something.

If you get *really* ambitious you could stack 8 loops for 9+dbd gain. :>)

I know that ND2X used to run four stacked 432MHz KB6KQ loops in his
mobile system.

--
Jack, W6NF/VE4
Shelley, K7MKL/VE4