[VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion

Jack W6NF vhfplus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 11:26:29 EDT 2013

On 9/18/2013 9:33 AM, Tommy wrote:
> My modeling four stacked of 6m loops suggests comparable gain to a 5 element yogi in all directions with roughly the same takeoff angle with 10' spacing. What's wrong with that?
>
> Seems to me that the noise problem is there regardless of loop vs. yagi. The noise on 6 at our contest site is just plain horrible at times with the yagi so I doubt it could be much worse. That is a problem that Ned's to be resolved with the power company, nothing else will be as defective.
>
> OK, now I'll stand by for all the apocryphal stories about how your power monopoly is unresponsive or worse, but I can say that ours has been very responsive when we tell them where the source is located. Might be due to the lead engineer being a ham.
>
> I have the loops assembled and just have to finish building the mounts for the side of the tower. More as it happens...
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom Holmes, N8ZM
You are fortunate...and this is not apocryphal: We fought with NV Energy
to get our *severe* noise problems solved for three years. They finally
came out and found intermittent hardware on a pole 1/2 mile from our
home that solved all the noise issues. That was August of last year, 8
weeks before we were scheduled to move! :<(

--
Jack, W6NF/VE4
Shelley, K7MKL/VE4