[VHFcontesting] Announcements in VHF contesting and othertopics.....

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Wed Sep 25 21:37:26 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 09:43:50PM -0500, Marshall-K5QE wrote:
> Hello to all....Saying that I want to call CQ on the Internet and then
> stand by for calls on the radio is a TOTAL MISREPRESENTATION of the

Really?

> I call CQ on the radio, just as we all do.  But I want to be able to
> post on the Internet where I am calling CQ, so that others might find
> me.  I will point out again, that an Announcement does not MAKE an
> contact.  You have to actually do that yourself.....with your own radio.

I never claimed an announcement will make or be the contact.

Just as calling CQ on the radio is not a contact.

What is a CQ?

CQ is a solicitation for a contact.

What are you going to post on the Internet?

"Hi am I am K5QE and I am on 144.230"

That seems like a solicitation for contacts.

And that would seem to be the same as a CQ to me.

Or are you going to tell us that is is just a public service
informational message that is alerting folks as to your callsign and
frequency. Just so they will know that you are on 144.230 looking for
contacts in the contest.... you know just in case they might want to
go there and work you... I mean go there and see if you might be
calling CQ.

I think it is pretty clear that you want to call CQ on the Internet
and on your radio at the same time.  If you want to call these
Internet CQs something else I guess you can but that does not change
what their intended purpose is - it is to enable you (and others) to
make more contacts in the contest.  How is that not a CQ?

If this rule existed today people would have their contest logging
programs setup to read their frequency and maybe mode and then post
this information as an announcement time they call CQ with their voice
keyers or CW keyers on their radios.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net