[VHFcontesting] An apology to George, K5TR

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sat Sep 28 19:23:36 EDT 2013

A friend, and respected VHF operator sent me an e-mail this morning, and
called my attention to some remarks I made last week.

I pointed out that some of the opponents to the creation of assisted
categories in ARRL VHF Contests hadn't bothered to submit logs to those
events in recent years. Since George was the last person to voice his
opposition, he felt my careless remark was targeted at him.

Most of us are aware of George's considerable contesting resume, both at
big-gun fixture, W5KFT and his own station.

What I was not aware of was George's role in mentoring other VHF
operators, inclduing KB0HH who has gone on to his own success on the
high bands. I was also not aware that he actually owns the server that
this e-mail list is hosted on, provding a forum for all of us to express
our views, even if they differ from his own. Thanks to Duffey, KK6MC for
pointing out my thoughtlessness and setting me straight on my behavior.

George's history of VHF Contest participation and selfless service to
the larger community more than qualifies him to express his opinon. I
apologize for my thoughtless remarks, not only to George but others. If
you're interested enough in VHF Contesting to subscribe to this
reflector, then you're certainly entitled to express your opinion.

I hope that George will accept my apology. I disagree with his opinion
on this proposal, but I have nothing but respect for his
accomplishements on VHF.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light