[VHFcontesting] 222MHz (135cm) Spring Sprint Contest To Be Held On Tuesday Evening, 15 April!!

peter h n6ze at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 10:16:14 EDT 2014

(Trying to stimulate some Sprint Activity in SoCal: Also passed along to local ham clubs in DM04, PNWVHFS, WSWSS, & W6YX-VHF) bt73Pete, N6ZE)

For those who missed the 2 meter Sprint last week, here is another opportunity to have a little
a bit of communications excitement, and to avoid thinking about the Tax Filing Deadline.

The  222 - 225 MHz (135cm) Spring Sprint will be held on Tuesday Evening, 15 April from 7 PM - 11PM Local Time.

Sprints for other VHF/UHF Bands will be as follows: 432/440MHz//70cm Wednesday, 23 April; 902MHz/33cm & up Saturday Morning, 03 May; & 50MHz/6m Saturday 10 May 2300Z - Sunday 11 May 0300Z. (The 2 meter Sprint was previously held on 07April.)

Although not too many hams participate in the Sprint Events, each provide a challenge to use your equipment, no matter how simple or sophisticated. Most stations operate for a limited time period of the 4 hour event.

For the 222 - 225 MHz Sprint, Woodie, KJ6VZC, & I personally plan to be on from 7PM - 9 PM and use 223.5 MHz FM Simplex and 222.100 MHz USB/CW with  about 50 watts & a 9 element yagi. We plan to operate from a minor hilltop just west of my home QTH in Thousand Oaks, CA. If propagation conditions are decent, we probably will be able to work as far North as Sacramento.

Very brief summary of 222- 225 MHz Spring Sprint Rules:

a. 222 - 225MHz only
b. Any transmit modes: FM, SSB, CW, etc   (NO Repeater Use)
c. Single Operator or Rover Entry only
d. Scoring: 1 point per QSO times total Number of different Grid Squares Worked (All of Ventura Co., CA is located in Grid DM04)
e. Exchange: Callsigns & Grid Square

Complete Sprint rules & entry submission info are available at this url:  >>>>https://sites.google.com/site/springvhfupsprints/2014-information<<<<
Note in particular rule "7.0 Assistance": you ARE PERMITTED to make schedules by means of telephone, packet, internet, or on an amateur radio frequency.

Entry submission: Use >>>> http://www.3830scores.com/<<<< Score & QTH are needed; no full log submission needed!

Note: If there is enough interest, I shall try to issue a certificate to the highest score submitted from each 6 Digit Grid Locator in California. (This means that I must get a copy of your log!)

bt73Pete, N6ZE, in DM04ne today
n6ze at aol.com
805.796.6693 cell