[VHFcontesting] Design for a 6M Rover Yagi...

David Muller dm5957 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 16:20:44 EDT 2014

As an update, a 2x4  cut to a hexagonal block can be drilled for 48" 1/2" dowels
to carry the corners of this antenna.  Put an angle bracket on hub for mast.
I tie monofilament loops at the corners of the
folded element to fit in a slotted end of the dowel.  Then the T end of driven element
dipole can have mono extensions to reach corners.  When loops are inserted, the thing
draws up into a bow, about 6 -8" elevated over hub.  Put a 4 turn 3" coil in end of
coax--RG-316--as choke.  I'm not worried about 1/2 dB extra loss in thin teflon coax at
20 feet length, considering the advantage of low weight, easy storage--it all bundles up
to 4 feet plus hub with the elements and coax in a gallon zip bag.

My favorite 6m antenna--even at home.  Did find that the dowels, although convenient,
are a bit more brittle in tree encounters.  But very easy and
cheap to replace if you carry a spare pair.

David  AB2YI