[VHFcontesting] Comments on ARRL VHF/UHF Contest Rules Change Proposals

Paul Kiesel via VHFcontesting vhfcontesting at contesting.com
Sat Dec 6 19:49:43 EST 2014

Hi Marshall. Thanks for your comments regarding the proposed changes to the ARRL VHF contest rules. I guess my opinion about contest rules in general must differ from those of many. By that I mean I don't care what the rules are just as long as they make sense and the contest is fun to operate in. I certainly don't have a problem with changing the rules as proposed. On the other hand, I don't think changing the rules is going to change the status quo with respect to who wins and who doesn't. The guys who win by virtue of their effort and operating expertise are going to continue winning. The proposed rule changes are not going to level the playing field for anyone. They might make it possible for some to make more contacts. I've never checked the internet during a contest and I think I will likely continue to not check it. For me, it's more fun to hunt for the elusive multipliers.
One of the things that has bothered me for years is the fact that someone can gear up with microwave equipment just by spending the money and beat me in contests while making fewer QSOs and fewer multipliers than me. So, I would modify the points per contact regime as follows: 1 point for contacts made on 50, 144, 222, 432, 903 and 1296 MHz bands. 3 points for contacts made on 2304, 3456, 5760 and 10368 MHz bands and 10 points for contacts made on 24000 MHz and above frequencies. Having contact points given this way would recognize technical progress efforts made on the higher bands while, at the same time, removing the unfair QSO points advantage.
73, Paul K7CW