[VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sun Feb 9 12:35:54 EST 2014

K5QE selling off microwave gear and focusing on limited multi-operator
contesting? I can't help but wonder if this is another bellwether of how
weak signal operation on VHF/UHF bands are on the decline. My personal
experience is very limited, with less than six years on the high bands.
But I have studied the history of weak signal VHF/UHF operation and
believe there is genuine cause for concern.

In our local area, the morning nets that were common just a few years
ago have faded away. The calling frequencies can be monitored for hours
or even days without so much as a QSO. Contest activity, especially
during the Sprints and January ARRL Contest is in decline too. Contacts
above 432 MHz are difficult and 222 isn't much better.

It seems to be a chicken and the egg situation--where the lack of
activity makes it harder for stations to justify the expense and effort
in maintaining microwave bands. And since there are fewer large stations
operating microwave, it's harder for rovers to justify investment in
these bands as well. The transition to digital TV as killed off most
amateur television operation, and cell phones have cut into the usage of
repeaters. Many in my area are unoccupied entirely.

The explosion of "DC to Daylight" rigs have failed to dramatically
increase participation in weak signal operation. New classes and
categories have met with only limited success. Efforts of local
amateurs, such as the "205 Group" have had some success, but they are
difficult to sustain, especially when they are so heavily tied to the
efforts of one or two individuals.

Two areas that have shown growth are operation on the Magic Band. Six
Meter operation has grown considerably in the past few years, especially
with more EME activity on this band than ever before. Another area that
seems to have momentum is ARES and Emergency Communications operation,
including the growth of simplex nets.

But it's clear that something needs to be done to help protect our
frequency allocations, and expand the pool of weak signal operators. I
wonder if other VHF operators share my concerns, and have suggestions on
how to reverse the situation?

Some ideas that have potential:

1.) A renewed effort by the ARRL to expand and promote the VHF-UHF
Century Club (VUCC) Award. Elevating the prestige of this award among
all amateurs, and enticing more HF operators to "move up" the bands has
the greatest potential to increase our ranks.

2.) SDR Technology. A single SDR transceiver that could cover 50 MHz to
1296 MHz could be a real game changer. Especially if "linked" to a
series of modular PA amps that could provide useable power levels of 20
watts or more could rapidly increase operation on bands like 222 and 902
were transverters are currently required.

It would also greatly simplify station design and maintenance. It's
doubtful that so called "appliance operators" will ever be attracted to
the bands above 432, but we do need to simply entry into this part of
the hobby. I've discovered that transverters are very intimidating to
those who are new to this game.

3.) The China Syndrome. If manufacturers such as Wouxun, Baofeng, etc.
could be contacted and encouraged to develop low cost rigs that included
weak signal modes like USB and CW, that could have a major impact as
well. I believe that many hams would love to try out 2 Meter SSB but
don't want to spend $600 to do so. They also don't want to buy an older
single band rig that may not work well, or be impossible to get repaired.

But I believe that they would spend $250-$300 for a dual band rig that
offered USB/FM/CW.

If they offered rigs for the more obscure bands like 222, 902, and 1296,
I think those would be very popular as well. Lots of market factors at
work here too...since most of Asia doesn't have access to 222, but
manufacturing costs have gotten low enough to make the growing US market
alone viable. Anyone have an inside contact at one of these companies?

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light