[VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating

John Geiger af5cc at fidmail.com
Tue Feb 11 22:46:23 EST 2014

I have been watching this thread for a while, and thinking about my own
opinion as to what is going one.  As others have stated, the amount of
activity on VHF and UHF should be going up, as it is easier and cheaper
today to get on 2m and 70cm than ever before with all of the HF/VHF/UHF rigs
out there.  If one looks around much, they should be able to find one of
those for $500 or so.

One idea I have for the decline has to do with the internet, but not the way
most people think of.  I think the problem is that many new hams turn to
QRZ.COM and EHAM.NET to get their elmering advice.  I don't read too many of
the QRZ forums, but do get on eham.net quite often so I know what is talked
about there, and much of it is pretty bad information.  Here are some
examples:

1. When a new ham asks about HF radios, they are always steered towards the
Icom 718.  I still don't understand the cult following for that radio. I
always try to steer them towards the Yaesu FT450 instead, as it is a better
radio overall, has many more built in features that cost more (or are
unavailable) on the 718, and most importantly, includes 6m.

2. New hams are told to avoid buying used equipment as you are "buying
someone elses problems".  Funny how I have worked 321 DXCC entities, 6m WAS
and WAC, VUCC on 6, 2, and satellites, and 40 states on 2m using someone
elses problems.  Anyways, as pointed out earlier, there is only 1 2m
monoband SSB rig being made right now, and I am sure most didn't even know
that-the MFJ 9402.  So, given that new hams are steered away from used
equipment, they wont be looking for an inexpensive 2m all mode rig to add a
band to their collection.

3. If a ham expresses interest in a HF/VHF/UHF rig, they are told instead to
get an HF rig and a dualband FM radio so they don't have all their eggs in
one basket-meaning if one breaks they have the other one to use.  It is
never assumed that maybe they wanted the HF/VHF/UHF rig for 2m and 70cm
SSB/CW.  However, it is a sad fact that probably 80% of hams with a
HF/VHF/UHF rig have never used the 2m/70cm side on anything other than FM.

4. When questions come up about 6m they are usually told that it is dead all
of the time, and you listen to static, and might get a several minute
opening if you get lucky.  Same thing is said about the higher bands.

Time was that when a new ham had questions about something like 6m they
would ask at the local radio club, and would get directed to the local ham
who did 6 meters, so they could go to his or her shack and see it in action.
Now they get on the internet instead and get filled up with information for
someone who is a legend in their own mind, but usually has no idea about
what they are talking about.

I think there is also the perception that you have to have large antennas
and towers, and big amps to do anything on 2m and above.  I have worked 40
states on 175 grids on 2m using 160 watts or less, and nothing larger than a
Cushcraft 13B2 mounted on my roof, and that includes 1 EME QSO.  I try to
mention my station limitations whenever sending out activity reports so
people know what can be done with smaller stations.

We also need to find ways to rebrand outselves.  Calling ourselves "weak
signal operators" doesn't do anything to attract new hams.  Who wants to
spend money to get on something with weak signals.  Why is it when a ham
runs 1.5KW to 8 stacked yagis on 2m they are weak signal, but when someone
uses a 2 watt HT with a negative gain antenna it is not weak signal?  I
don't even like the term "DC to Daylight rig" because first off it is
inaccurate, and secondly, it seems to have a somewhat derrogotry quality to
it, implying that the rig is a poor compromise on all bands (new hams are
also told this on eham as well).  I have worked quite a few countries,
grids, and states on a supposedly compromised rig.

If you read the QST reviews, these HF/VHF/UHF rigs are always referred to as
for mobile use only, or as a secondary/back up rig.  It is never mentioned
that they could be the primary rig in a shack, even though they are in many
ham's shack, including mine.  The on-line forums also believe that new hams
are too confused or dense to use a menu driven rig-hence the call for them
all to get Icom 718.

If you have been to your local radio club recently, I dont mean a speciality
club, but the local one where new hams are likely to show up, I would bet
that when discussions of 2m and 70cm come up, FM and APRS are mentioned over
SSB by a ratio of 50 to 1 or more.  Most clubs seem to think that 2m and up
should only be used for emergency communcations and parade chasing on 2m and
APRS.

I am sure that there are plenty of reasons also, but these are just a few
thoughts.

73 John AF5CC