[VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 11:50:59 EST 2014

Maybe most of the hams that are active just want radios they can take
out of a box, plug in and use. I don't think that's true for
contesters - it requires a lot of work to build even a small contest
station.

I've always been a builder. My VHF+ station consists entirely of
transverters. I built all of them. I also built all the antennas I'm
using. But even if you bought a transverter from Down East Microwave
or somewhere, maybe it is just too much for the typical ham to figure
out how to interface it. I'd like to think that's not true.

I built the 222 MHz transverter designed by Zack Lau W1VT. I believe
it appeared in QEX magazine in 1993. You can find templates for the pc
boards at the ARRL site. I made my own boards. This transverter is a
great performer.

W1GHZ also sells boards for a small 222 MHz transverter designed to
work with the FT-817. It should work with any transceiver if you
connect it properly.

Again, maybe that's just too much work for most people.
:-(

In contests in this area, all the VHF contesters who have more than
one band seem to have 222. I usually work almost as many people on 222
as I do on 432 in contests.

73, Zack W9SZ