[VHFcontesting] Trends

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Sat Feb 15 18:39:59 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Gregg Seidl <k9kl at centurytel.net> wrote:
> I think we may be missing the key ingredient to lack of activity on some of the VHF and UHF bands. I read a comment from one respondent that " I built all my xverters" . That is great and if someone enjoys that that's even better. Most hams have to work 40-50 hours a week and then there are the kids activities and the honey-do list and, well I think we get the point. I just think most hams don't have the time to do that stuff,if they can't plug it in and get it to work on a weekend they just won't do it. Most hams I know of have several hobbies and radio is just one of them. I know I have a bunch of things I enjoy s

> I don't mean to sound doom and gloom but all hobbies ebb and flow with active participants.Our local astronomy club rode the technology high when computer aided scopes made it "easy" to find all kinds of objects but now the newness has worn off and some of those astronomers have drifted away, some have stayed too. Same for our homebrew club.

You have it exactly right in both cases.  I, for one, would love to
have transverters for a band or three but unless the control cable
plugs into the the ACC or DATA jacks on the back of my IC746Pro it's
probably not going to happen.

As you correctly note, however, plug-n-play transverters would cause
an influx of new > 50 MHz activity ... for a while.  Hobbies ebb and
flow.