[VHFcontesting] 2 meters

Jeffrey Guenther JeffJGuenther at verizon.net
Wed Jan 29 10:09:29 EST 2014

Herb,

Here's my two.  I believe all the bands plans should be similar.  Obviously,
VHF activity is not what HF is, so some changes are understandable.  I
operate 6 and 2 meters CW from time to time and during contests.  Not a big
operator, but find it better for my station setup to send CW.  During
contest, I could hung out at 144.099 calling CQ, and I doubt I would get an
answer.  From my brief experience, hanging close to the calling frequency on
2 meters SSB is best within 5 kc either side for sending CW.  As far as, CW
and SSB having an exact mirror of the band plan, I think that would be
great!  I am not an EME, scatter, or digital guy so I do not have knowledge
or want to invade on their turf.  I think the calling frequency for 2 meters
is to high.  I know it has been that way for years.  If it were like 6
meters, where CW activity is only 25 kcs away, it might generate more CW
activity.   Beacons on 2 meters are also different.  On 6 meters you may
listen below .100 for beacons and then come up the band to see if anyone in
the CW portion, then if activity is good, go further to SSB.  It just works
on 6 meters, but 2 is a different story.

I have yet to run into a problem on 2 meters sending CW in the SSB portion
of the band.  I would love to have a place where I could dependable rely on
and there might be someone listening.  That is done on 6 metes, but not so
much on 2 meters.

I encourage your spirit in getting more activity on these bands.  It is a
whole lot of fun when the bands are open and there is activity.

Jeffrey - KA2BKG
Bel Air, MD
FM19tm
 ----- Original Message -----  From: Herb Krumich <wa2fgk at yahoo.com>  To:
vhfcontesting at contesting.com  Sent: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:01:33 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 2 meters I would like to throw this around and see
what others might feel about my idea.  As everyone knows, our six meter band
is segmented and we know exactly what mode to use and where. The last
several years have been very effective when we go below 50.100 to do CW, and
move up to do digital near 50.260. All SSB contacts are between 50.127 and
50.180, unless the band is open. EME is done around 50.200  Now lets talk
about two meters. Most SSB activity is from 144.170 through 144.230. Rovers
hang out a bit higher.  This past contest, there was quite a mix up in the
lower area. Stations trying to do scatter while others were trying to do
EME. It can't work. The sequences are totally different and you can't work
both modes in the same area.   Most digital EME is between 144.110 and
144.130. I totally sug