[VHFcontesting] CSVHFS Conference - Austin, TX - JULY 2nd deadline for hotel discount!

Jim Froemke jim.k0mhc at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 13:50:48 EDT 2014

Hey fellow VHFers --

Registrations for CSVHFS 2014 (July 24-27) are proceeding nicely and I want to point out a few deadlines to everyone so no one is caught off-guard.

First, the boat trip on Thursday night is very popular and we're a little concerned it will sell out.  If this is something you want to do, *please register soon so you do not miss out on the trip*.

Second, if you are bringing a spouse it would help us to know a rough count on the trips on Friday and Saturday so we can arrange the right size busses.  While we have not formally listed a cut-off for these, we really need to make a decision on the bus size in the next couple of weeks so it would be a big help to know a rough count for these activities.  If you're brining a spouse, registering soon would help us out!

Finally, the hotel discount cutoff is JULY 2 at 5PM*. In order to get the hotel rate, you must have made your hotel registrations by this date.  As you know from previous years, the hotel releases our block to the general public at that time and often folks end up forced to other hotels if there is anything significant going on in town that would cause the hotels to book up.

http://www.csvhfs.org/2014conference/lodging.html

We've now added a page showing who is coming to Austin so that you will know who you can rub elbows with while you are in town.  The list can be found here:

http://www.csvhfs.org/2014conference/regfiles/CSVHFS%20Registered%20List.htm

We'll update this about once a week so don't panic if you register and don't immediately see your name on the list.

In case you, didn't see our original message on all that the Austin conference has to offer, here's a recap:

This year's conference theme is QRO, or making high power on the VHF and up bands.  We have an impressive list of speakers supporting this topic and many other topics including oscillator design, antenna construction and station design and construction.

We've poked, prodded and twisted arms to get *THREE* unique speakers this year:

- *Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR*, from FlexRadio Systems presents an analysis of system noise and its effect on station performance at the Friday luncheon

- *Jim Klitzing, W6PQL*, from Klitzing Electronics will discuss component selection for projects at the Saturday luncheon

- Our banquet speaker is *Jimmy Treybig, W6JKV*.  Jimmy has done over SEVENTY six and two-meter DXpeditions to *over 50 countries*.  Jimmy will be sharing his perspectives on family and DXpeditions.

The conference will feature noise figure and gain measurement, sun noise measurement, prizes, a rover-row and dish-bowl, a swap fest and an excellent lineup of vendors.

The family program starts off on Thursday evening with a chartered boat tour including a meet-and-greet with a catered Texas BBQ dinner and an opportunity to watch one of the largest colonies of Mexican Free-Tailed bats emerge for their evening dinner run.  Not to be missed!

On Friday, the ladies program ventures out to Fredericksburg for shopping, wine tasting and to soak up the culture and then on Saturday on to the Natural Bridge Caverns for a tour of the underground caves and on to the San Marcos Premium Outlets for more shopping.

The RMG team has worked hard to make sure you and your family will have a blast in Austin this year.  But we know that even with all the fun and education we've lined up, *the big draw is you*:  your fellow VHFers will be traveling to Austin to get an opportunity to talk with you about your exciting projects and plans.  Please join us for the fun!  To find out all the details on everything I've mentioned, visit the link below:

http://www.csvhfs.org/2014conferene

Then, register today for the conference:

http://www.csvhfs.org/2014conference/2014Registration.html

It's important to register early so we can have adequate transportation for the family events.

 If you have any questions, please feel free to drop us an email and we'll get right back to you (austin2014 at n5ac.com <mailto:austin2014 at n5ac.com> ).

​73's and see you in Austin!​

Steve ​ Hicks​​, N5AC

2014 CSVHFS President