[VHFcontesting] Input on Initial VHF-UHF-Microwave Contest RuleChanges

Ron Rogers ww8rr at charter.net
Thu Nov 13 10:51:20 EST 2014

Neal is having e-mails rejected from the VHF-Contesting reflector so at his
request I am forwarding his comments >>

Again?!!!

The base issue here is one that has been hashed and rehashed over the
decades, long before the internet.  The crux of the matter is still how to
equalize (or perhaps nullify) the advantages of the northeast stations.
When the multipliers were changed from sections to grid squares it was
believed the equalizing of multiplier density would make the difference.  It
did not.  While serving on the CAC in the 80's the discussion and hence
proposals, was to go to a distance based scoring system.  This was rejected
time and again because of the complexity in scoring.  It was argued, to no
avail, that grid squares made it practical.  It was argued again that
computer software for contesting would made distance scoring trivial but
countered that not everybody could afford or had computers.

While I agree that rules need to be updated with technology, the premise
that only Amateur forms of communication be utilized remains critical in my
opinion.  The use of packet cluster spotting was initial done through nodes
that communicated on ham frequencies and I argued that this was acceptable.
It can be argued that since this is now all done via internet it should be
excluded.  However, I believe that since all the nodes are setup and
maintained by hams and used explicitly for spotting of other ham stations an
exception can be justified.  All other forms of communication (i.e.
telephone, cell phone, email) for the purpose of soliciting or coordinating
contacts during the contest must not be allowed.  MW contacts can and should
be coordinated on lower bands.  Self-spotting is tantamount to solicitation
for contacts (CQing) by non-amateur means and are not intended to "make a
contact"  via the cluster.  This should never be allowed in any contest.
The only valid solicitation (CQing) must remain on the bands where response
is expected to culminate in a valid contact.

One more point:

"Unlike most HF contests, operating skill and knowledge of propagation may
not be enough to find stations to work. You can't just point your antenna to
Europe or Asia at the right time and find a ready supply of potential
contacts. The less predictable nature of VHF+ propagation and the
necessarily higher-gain, narrow-beamwidth antennas used make finding someone
to work largely a matter of chance."

If quality of station, operating skill and knowledge of propagation are not
enough then why do we contest!!!!  isn't that what is all about?  True, VHF
contesting uses a different skill set. It is not just a matter of chance
That is why I contest from 160M to nm wavelengths.

Neal, K4EA