[VHFcontesting] ARRL Proposal for a combined 10 Meter & 6 Meter Contest

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Thu Sep 4 01:47:02 EDT 2014

A few weeks ago, Steve N2CEI posted an update from ARRL HQ that
authorized the appointment of an-hoc committee related to VHF
contesting. Within that posting, he mentioned a desire from ARRL HQ
staff to enhance operation on the 6 & 10 Meter band that included the
following:

*/PSC requested that headquarters staff explores opportunities to
emphasize more activity of the 6 and 10 meters bands. Ideas included a
combined 6- and 10-meter contest, a 10 meter grid square award, and
emphasis on portable operations. /*

I'm interested in hearing what VHF contest operators think about the
possibility of a combined 10 & 6 Contest? During sunspot nulls (or even
the current maximum) 10 Meters often performs more like a VHF band than
an HF band--so I think the grouping is pretty natural. The CQ VHF
contest which focus only on 6 & 2 Meters as long been a favorite of mine
due to the simplicity of the format. I suspect that a 6 & 10 contest
could have the same appeal.

A 10 Meter grid award also makes a lot of sense to me. It might
encourage even more FFMA style expeditions.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light

I have had a chance to review the various reports of the July meeting
and here are some highlights that are of interest to VHF and above
operators.First as copied from the report:

VHF and above contesting rules. The PSC voted to authorize the
appointment of an ad-hoc committee to review and discuss various issues
related to the ARRL VHF and above contest program. The following
individuals have been subsequently appointed to this committee:

Kermit W9XA (Chairman)
Dave Patton NN1N
Marty Woll N6VI
Doug Rehman K4AC
Joel Harrison W5ZN

All have considerable VHF+ contesting experience and perspective through
involvement with their respective VHF+ contesting communities, and I
believe they will provide us with sound advice and recommendations that
will enable PSC to tackle the challenge of improving the entire
contesting program.

End of Copy.

My personal comments are that it is a great list of individuals to
represent us as VHF and above operators.
Since I am an Assistant Director concerning VHF and above matters
reporting to our Division Director Doug Rehman, I expect to be making
the SVHF Society's opinions heard on any subject relating to VHF and
above contesting. As of this writing, I am not aware of the committee's
plan of attack on such matters but this would be a great place to
forward any information that the Society and the general VHF and above
community would be interested in. It would also be a good place to
request public opinions and any matters we are queried about. So-- keep
this topic handy and spread the word.

Secondly, an important rule change to Single Op VHF contesting happened.

"On the motion of Mr. Rehman and second of Mr. Norris it was VOTED to
add a Single Operator Unlimited category that allows passive assistance
to all Single Operator categories in ARRL VHF/UHF contest to be
implemented in calendar year 2015. "

All operators interested in competing in this class should review the
ARRL rules pertaining to "Passive Assistance" I'm sure it will be a
topic of discussion in the near future but understanding them for the
Jan. VHF contest, 2015 is important.

Other topics of VHF interest are :

PSC requested that headquarters staff explores opportunities to
emphasize more activity of the 6 and 10 meters bands. Ideas included a
combined 6- and 10-meter contest, a 10 meter grid square award, and
emphasis on portable operations.

PSC agreed to expand the Field Day message handling bonus to include
formats other than the traditional NTS Radiogram (i.e. ICS-213 and other
relevant formats), effective 2015.

The following Contest Advisory Committee tasks were assigned. I thought
these would be of interest to the Society members so were copied below.
One note is the last on the list concerning public Logs . My
understanding is if it were to be implemented , it would be across the
board.

1. Investigate potential mobile categories for HF contesting.
2. Investigate parameters CAC would recommend for a possible 24-hour
category in the ARRL International DX contest.
3. Review scoring topics within the ARRL 160-meter contest.
4. Study the feasibility, pros/cons, etc. of potentially making
submitted logs public for ARRL contests.

If you wish to view the complete report search for "Program and Services
Committee (PSC)
Report to the Board – July 2014, Doc #16" on the ARRL Website Its
recommended reading to and ARRL member. Also review the July meeting
Minutes at http://www.arrl.org/board-meetings
http://www.arrl.org/board-meetings

Steve, N2CEI