[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Sprint

Dave Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Sun Sep 28 18:00:33 EDT 2014

I will be QRV this Tuesday evening on 222 MHz for the Fall Sprint. I hope people will take some time and aim my way (FN43MJ) and try to make contact. The 144 Sprint was very discouraging here as I worked a very small number of grids compared to a typical 144 Sprint. I realize that conditions in Northern New Engtland were poor, but I can't believe it was that bad. Please help to prove me wrong that activity has gone down the drain!
    I will aim in three general directions almost continuously, with three antenna systems. I have a pair of 8 element yagis aimed at VE2, an array of 8 x 5 elements aimed southwest, and a quad long yagi array (22 element K1FO style yagis) that will be primarily used for aiming due West. I have almost given up loooking northeast. In the 144 Sprint I worked nobody to my northeast. I will try again this time with either the 4 x 22 elements or the 2 x 8 elements looking northeast, but I suspect most of the time I will be aimed west with the bigger 4 yagi array.
    Rig will be the standard 8877 at 1500 watts output. The feedline is 1 5/8" heliax, and an OMNI V or maybe a K3 as the IF radio. Don't forget TUESDAY NIGHT 7 PM to 11 PM EDST 2300-0300 UT 222 MHz. Be there or be square.

73
Dave K1WHS