[VHFcontesting] 432 Sprint and Spotting

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Tue Apr 28 14:45:19 EDT 2015

Hello Phil and other VHF contesters.....

In the past, I have never thought the DX Cluster was worth anything for
VHF.  Occasionally, you would see a few 6M spots, but almost never did
you see a spot for 2M, never mind for anything above that.  Phil has
brought up something that needs to be considered and solved before very
long.  Now that we can Announce our Call, Frequency, and Sequence(and a
few other things too), we need to figure out HOW and WHERE to post so
that more QSOs result.

Because VHF is regional by nature(except for EME), posting to a national
resource(cluster, chat page, reflector, whatever) is not going to be
productive.  For those of us in TX, it does not do much good for someone
in WA to post their desire for meteor scatter contacts.  Clearly, the
reverse is true as well.  I have been mulling this problem over in my
mind and have not come up with any great solution.

I have thought that we might have regional chat pages where you can look
for stations in your general region.  For meteor scatter, we might have
something like west coast, central US, and east coast. Clearly, for
many, these areas overlap.  I can see problems with this idea, but if
everyone posts everything to PingJockey, 1)their server will probably
collapse, 2)the posts would be running up the screen so fast that you
would never see anyone that you wanted to work, even if they were there.

I just returned from a 2M EME DXpedition to the Falkland Islands.  I had
Dan-N5TM make me a "private" chat room just for that expedition.  It was
great.  Anyone in the chat room was just there to work us....we did not
have to endure anyone talking about their feedlines or concealing their
flagpole verticals.  While this is a wonderful approach for DXpeditions
and it could be the basis of the east coast, west coast, and central US
chat pages, it might not be the correct approach for a contest
environment.  In other words, this idea might be unworkable for one
reason or another.

SO, I ask everyone interested in this idea, to think hard about how we
can best use the new resources that we are finally allowed. Maybe we
will have to segregate things by mode, so that stations seeking MS
contacts will have chat pages / reflectors dedicated to just that.  I
just don't know how this should be made to work.  We have lots of bright
guys out there, now is the time for us to figure this one out.....

See you in the June ARRL and the July CQ WW VHF contests......

73 Marshall K5QE