[VHFcontesting] Spotting and the DX Cluster in VHF Contesting

Roger Rehr W3SZ 73w3sz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:53:57 EDT 2015

  Hi Phil et al,

Thanks for the additional details.  And thanks for doing such an
excellent job steering the superb and wide-ranging sessions at the NEWS
Conference!

As you know, and as you point out,  it is not really an "either / or"
situation.

I believe that the cluster will work very well as the first mechanism
for finding out who is on and available in a busy contest environment
when "yet another window" will often get lost in the shuffle among the
many open windows already present on multiple screens.  It is for
spotting new stations, and can also be used for brief messages, as
others have noted.  The potential use of the cluster as a gateway for
station info from other sources [SMS, APRS, twitter], as was discussed
at the Conference, is exciting to say the least.  Cluster use will be
like its use in HF contests, with additions and modifications as
desired/required by those of us using it for VHF and up.

As you point out, there is certainly a role for ON4KST, and I plan to
use it, but not for the purpose of spotting during a busy contest!
ON4KST comes into its own as a liaison channel for stations to use to
work out the details of their contacts.   It is also useful for a less
busy station in an area where there is much less "going on" during a
contest than there is in the busy corridors on the left and right
coasts, where there isn't so much to keep an eye on that adding an extra
window that needs to be constantly watched is counterproductive.   My
sense is that ON4KST will work much better in contests such as the
Sprints/ARRL 10 GHz / ARRL UHF contests where things are "quieter" and
there are fewer bands to watch than during the Jan/June/Sept contests
when things are extremely busy and there are many bands / windows to
keep an eye on.

What works best on the coasts might be much different that what works
best in the middle of the country.  These are examples of different
regions, and it will in my opinion not present a problem if different
regions find different solutions for their different environments.  And
what works best in one type of contest may be different than what works
best in another type of contest.  One size does not fit all.  But within
a region, best results will be achieved if there is a common approach to
the problem.  The fact that Phil and I and others in the North East are
going to start by using the cluster for spotting and ON4KST for
liaison/chatting does not preclude others elsewhere from choosing other
approaches.

I will be on for the 432 sprint tonight and will make use of both of
these tools, using the cluster for spotting and ON4KST for liaison, or
when things are slow.

An example of how my contest screens will look for the Jan/June/Sept
contests is at:
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/3screenNew_Software_3_14_2015b_small.png
The cluster window is top right.
Note that when this screenshot was taken:
1.  The radios were not "on"
2.  Cluster filters were not engaged
3.  The browser was set to display aprs.fi , as it would be during a
contest to keep an eye on rovers.
4.  I DO have a chat page up on the browser [WSJT EME Link], though it
is not displayed.  During an actual contest I will also have the ON4KST
page up, but it will not be displayed except when in use.

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ